Recipes

Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Sweet Find Wednesday: Dipping on the Go

Chip & Dip Container
I didn't know this until a few years ago, but some manufacturers actually pay grocery stores for prime shelf space. It's the same basic principle as in real estate (location, location, location!) and makes perfect sense: If they can get their product on the shelves at eye-level, we're more likely to see--and subsequently purchase--it before other products that are stocked above or below eye-level. Thus, I've tried to make a game out of looking high and low while I'm in the store, seeing what I can find. Anything to make the humdrum shopping trip a little more interesting. :)

After some good detective work in the food container aisle, I found these little chip and dip containers.


They were so forgotten that I literally had to blow the dust off of them, find one with a bar code, and then locate one of those obscurely placed price checkers. My labor was not in vain: They were only two bucks! I grabbed two to try.

Some of our poorest food choices happen when we are traveling, so I packed these guys up with about 1/4 cup of hummus and some assorted vegges for an overnight trip. The container held plenty of veggies to supplement our meals. 


In the future, I'm sure our 2-year-old will love taking these to MDO in her lunches, but for now we grownups are enjoying the bit of variety these have made possible in our own lunches.

Where you Might Find One
You can try Walmart, but I also found this one from the Container Store. It's a few dollars more expensive than ours, but it's definitely still very reasonable.

I'd love to hear any other ideas you have for filling up your chip and dip containers!

Enjoy the day. :)

1 comment:

Sam said...

I love these! you guys eat so healthy, its inspirational! Do you remember on which isle in walmart you found them?