Recipes

Monday, April 4, 2011

Lunch Box Ideas for Toddlers

Thankfully, I get to stay home with Laila most days; however, on Tuesdays and Thursdays, we go to Mother's Day Out. I teach the three-year-olds, and Laila heads to her class for some much-needed socialization with other kids her age. She loves the time with her friends.

Chef Laila, helping Dad wash potatoes for Sunday lunch

As much of a blessing as MDO has been for us, it's also presented a challenge: What do we pack in Laila's lunch? She's not been the best eater in the world anyway, and I feel like we end up sending the same thing all the time. Last week I set out in search of lunch ideas for toddlers, and here are some I think might work for us (as well as a few L has actually tried and liked):
  • French toast, made the night before and cut with cookie cutters (I eat the scraps or put them in my own lunch--yum!)
  • Hard boiled egg, cut into bite-sized pieces
  • Grilled cheese, cut into strips
  • Quesadilla, cut into strips
  • English muffin with peanut[or soy]butter and banana
  • Core an apple and cut it like donuts
  • Pasta salad with corn and black beans
  • Mini-bagels with cream cheese and finely chopped fresh veggies
  • Frozen peas or corn (it will thaw by lunchtime)
  • Veggie pizzas - Found a recipe using an English muffin, pizza sauce, your favorite toppings, and a slice of mozarella. Sounds good!

 Tips I found helpful:
  • Vary the kind of bread you use for sandwiches: English muffins, bagels, croissants, fruit bread, etc.
  • Top fruit with leftover sprinkles.
  • Create "mini" versions of typical foods.
  • Sprinkle particularly nutrient-rich foods on top of your child's other foods: Flax seed, toasted nuts and other seeds make great toppings.

I found this eHow article helpful, perhaps because I enjoy making lists. The Recommended Serving Size page from this PDF was also helpful to me.

I hope these tips have helped you out somewhat! Be sure to check the recipes tab (see top of page, below the banner) for this week's recipe recommendations. Enjoy your day. :)

No comments: